A few days ago, my colleague Karissa Justice wrote about the urban heat island effect. In her article, she reminds us that “shade can cut surface temperatures by 20-45°F. Strategic planting around buildings to shade windows and roofs can make a big difference in temperatures and energy consumption.” Have you ever had a hard time explaining the importance of urban trees and the importance of your organization’s mission? Take a look at this video and feel free share it broadly. As part of a larger community of tree lovers, we’d love to see the public help you map every single tree in your community; not just street trees but those on private land too. One tree at a time, we can all make our urban forests stronger!
Read these related posts:
- Launching a successful open data and citizen science initiative
- Defining the Open in OpenTreeMap: What Does it Mean for OpenTreeMap to be Open Source?
- CITY OF TREES Film Tells the Story of Greening Efforts in DC
- How One Contractor is Helping to Ensure Durham, North Carolina Stays Leafy
- Using Existing Data to Analyze and Plan your Urban Forest